Friday, October 31, 2008

To Envy or To Be Envied....that is the question!

I was telling Addi about how a lady, at church, had paid me a wonderful compliment. She asked me how many children I had, and when I told her 5; she sighed and said..."Oh I envy the grandchildren you will have." I thought that was a wonderful compliment, and it was so nice to have a positive response instead of the following...."5? Are you crazy?" or "5? Don't you know how babies are made?" or just that look of confusion as if they can't even imagine having 5 kids. In my opinion, remember this is MY opinion, 5 children is NOT a lot.
As I was telling Addi about this compliment, she asked me what envy meant. I told her that basically it means you want something that someone else has. Then I explained that although we should be very grateful for what we have, envy is something I struggle with daily. She looked puzzled and asked me what I envied. I said everytime I see a pregnant woman or a woman with a newborn, I become full of envy. I explained that I would love nothing more than to have more babies, and she happily agreed saying that she always LOVED when we had a new baby join our family. I just can't help myself, and although I pray daily to alleviate this undying urge; it hasn't been alleviated yet. If I allowed myself to really wallow in this deep desire, I would become depressed (I am not joking here, I mean really depressed); so I have to constantly pray about it. Our family is complete, and it's a true blessing to me; and I am so very thankful for NPayne and my 5 children.
I feel extremely guilty about this urge (wanting more children), because I have been so blessed to have 5 children; and there are so many families who haven't been blessed with any children. I know there are people who pray, just as diligently as I did, for a baby; but so far the answer has been no for them. Although I have 5 sweet children; the urge to have more babies is as strong (maybe stronger) now as it was before I had one baby. I struggle with feeling greedy....after all I have FIVE children and so many haven't had any. It is so hard for me to imagine the feelings of the women that I know personally, have read about or been asked to pray for who haven't received a "yes" answer to their prayer to become a mother. It makes my heart ache knowing how they have that urge that encompasses all you are and takes up your every thought. I pray for these ladies every single day, because I do know that urge...that desire to become a mother. I pray for their prayers to be answered, and I pray for them to have peace with whatever that answer may be....that may be the hardest part....being at peace with the answer. Obviously I don't know God's plan, but I do know He's in control; and He's there for us to lean on and to scoop us up when we have fallen down. I do know that He loves us even when the answer He gives is no.

2 comments:

Mrs. Chief said...

OMG 5 kids! What a change od senerary for me! We just brought our #5 home two weeks ago. I have posted so many times about the "Gawkers" especially at Wal-Mart...here are my favorites.
Are all those yours?
Don't you know what causes that?
What have you been drinking?
Your done right?
I can so identify...thanks for the smile. I think my family is something to Envy...

Lorie said...

You are a blessed mama! I love that you have a newborn baby too....I'm envious - imagine that!
Thanks for the comment! I appreciate encouraging words.