Friday, October 17, 2008

Friendly Face - Adam

Here is my choice for Friendly Face this week. This is Cal's friend, Adam, and he is a remarkable boy. I can honestly say one of the most remarkable kids I have ever met. Adam and Cal have been in the same class for a few years, and they developed a friendship last year. Adam really connects with Cal in a way that most other kids and even adults can't. Last year Cal's special ed. teacher had the wonderful idea to incorporate peer buddies to help Cal with daily school things where he needed assistance: silent reading time (Cal is really just learning to read), getting to the bathroom and back okay, lunch, assemblies, etc. They knew that Adam had shown an interest and a true love for helping Cal, so they asked him if he would be his "buddy." He gladly accepted, and Cal has grown to love this boy. Cal had the best school year of his life last year, and I give a lot of credit to Adam for encouraging him and just being there for him. This year they didn't get in the same class, although I requested it, due to some other extenuating circumstances. My heart was broken, and I was fearful of what would happen without Adam there to help my boy along. Adam, too, was heartbroken and worried about who would look after his special friend. I also felt a little guilty, because Adam is only 9 years old; and I didn't want him to feel the burden of "taking care" of Cal. His mom assured me that he didn't see it that way, as a burden, but more as an honor. Cal, on the other hand, was just confused. After school had been in session for a few days, Cal saw Adam on the playground and ran up to him and said...."Adam, I found you." Little did we know that although Cal had been having good days at school and seemed to be happy, he was looking for Adam and wondering why he wasn't in his class.
We see Adam outside of school, as his sister and Drew are the best of friends, and he has even come over to "play" with Cal a few times. I explained to Adam that Cal doesn't play things that typical 4th grade boys play, and that he is still learning how to play with others and share. Cal's room is organized chaos, because he has about a million trains which are all set up in the exact place where he wants them. Cal can get very upset if someone moves one, and he knows if one has been touched. He can, literally, walk into his room and take inventory in about 3 seconds. He will then ask you, if he doesn't see it, where a certain train may be. Adam didn't seem to mind this at all, he just followed Cal around and tried to interact with him as much as possible. He even encouraged Cal to go outside and play ball with him which they did. The first time Adam came over, I told his mom that I hoped he didn't feel too awkward; and I hoped he would come back again. His mom told me that he really enjoyed spending time with Cal, and that he felt like he got to know a side of him he didn't know before. And so he came back another time to play, that day was pretty much the same as the first, and I even told Adam that he could go outside and play with the girls if he chose to; but he stuck with Cal. When he left that afternoon, Adam looked me square in the eye and said in the most appreciative voice I've ever heard from a little boy......"Thank you so much for having me over. Thank you." It warms my heart and gives me a huge lump in my throat when I think about this boy and the affect he has had on my son's life and my own life for that matter. They are only 9 years old, but I think Adam will forever change Cal's life for the better. He is Cal's friend, and he accepts him for who he is. For that I am so thankful, and I feel so blessed. Again I need to thank God for another introduction.

No comments: