Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Will He hear us? Do you hear them?

The other day B-Nut, Elli Oooo, and I were sitting in the carpool lane waiting patiently. I was reading something or balancing my checkbook or something that I do when I have about 10 minutes to sit and not move in the car. B-Nut and Elli were doing the usual....listening to music and singing or playing peekaboo. THEN comes the question, and honestly my mind was elsewhere; so I didn't REALLY hear it at first. "Mom, when will the day stop?" My response, "I'm sorry dear I didn't hear you." (really I wasn't listening). Then the question again, "When will the day stop?" My response, "At midnight, the day will end and another day will begin." Then the following conversation took place....
B-No when will the day stop?
Me-At midnight sugar pie.
B- No mom, when will God stop the days?
LOOOOONG PAUSE....not because I didn't know what to say, but because I was savoring the moment of her 5 year old brain and all its wonder.
Me-I don't know sugar, whenever God decides; He will stop the days.
B -If He yells STOP really loud, will we hear Him?
Big smile as I visualize this image....everyone freezing right where they are when they hear the Lord Almighty say STOP! He won't have to yell it, because his voice is a thunderous roar of gentle power. Then I respond...
Me - I don't know dear, but we WILL be with Him.
Big smile from her and a slight giggle.
End of coversation. I guess that was a sufficient answer for her.
I do make a conscious effort to really listen to my children, oftentimes they talk about silly things or "little kid" things. I also hear them talk to each other which can be a wonderful earful or a disturbing earful (depending on the mood and the child). I love hearing them wonder and contemplate about God and Jesus. I will admit that many of their questions are ones that I can't answer or don't even know how to begin to answer, but I still love that we can discuss; and I can tell them "I'm not sure, let's look it up together in the book with the answers...The Bible."

No comments: