Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Am Oblivious

Let me start by saying.....I am oblivious by choice (most of the time). As I have said before, I don't watch the news or read the paper. I don't keep up with the "bad" things going on in the world. I made this choice deliberately after the Oklahoma City bombing occured in 1995. I watched so much of that story on the news, talk shows, read about it in magazines and newspapers; that I became consumed with the grief. It really altered my way of living, breathing. sleeping and thinking. All I could think about was the people trapped, especially the children, some of whom survived and some of whom died terrible deaths. IT CONSUMED ME! I couldn't sleep or function daily. I truly started to fall into a depression and realized that I cannot deal with it, so I decided not to watch anymore news or read anymore newspapers, etc.; so I wouldn't accidentally stumble across anything that had to do with the bombing. Since that decision, I've never looked back. Some people, especially my dad, think this choice is irresponsible; because they feel I need to know what's going on in the world around me. I need to be able to be aware and informed and pray specifically. Well I got news for those folks...I don't want to be aware or informed of the "bad" stuff. BUT I do want to pray specifically. NPayne and my best girlfriend Cynthia, know that I choose not to make myself vulnerable to any sort of "bad" or "sad" worldly information. They both know that I don't watch any part of the news and only read a few certain articles in the city courier, so they keep me informed of things they know I need to be aware of or informed about or pray specifically for. They will send me e-mails with articles attached or call me to tell me the weather. They both keep me informed, to my comfort level, about many things. There are many times, each week, when I receive prayer requests to pray for specific challenges in people's lives. Although most of these are requests for prayer in a "bad" or "sad" circumstance, I want to know about this; and I want to pray specifically. I do oftentimes feel a little guilty for not knowing what's going on in God's world, but I have to make a life choice: being oblivious or being consumed; and for my sake and my family's and friends' sakes, I choose being oblivous.
As I was typing this post, I received the following e-mail from NPayne....
A cold front that is expected to sweep into the area by mid-day Wednesday should drop daytime highs into the 60s and nighttime lows into the mid-40s, according to the National Weather Service.
Thanks Babe for looking out for me. Thanks Cynthia for warning me about the tornado back in May!

No comments: