Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Are You a Grinch?

My pastor, Ken, led a sermon on Sunday that was my cup of tea. When I saw the picture of the Grinch on the bulletin, I immediately ASSUMED it would be about people (like me) who are sort of anti Christmas "stuff", not anti Christmas but anti all the "stuff" that tends to go along with Christmas. His sermon addressed the fact that the true meaning of Christmas (the birth of Christ) can become buried or stolen (just like the Grinch attempted to steal Christmas from the Whos) by all the busyness and stuff that we humans can be consumed with. Ken said that these things aren't necessarily bad things, but that the meaning of Christmas can just get lost amongst them. This year for advent, the pastors decided on the theme; "Simply Christmas"! YEA! Hallelujiah! I have been in favor of "Simply Christmas" for a long time. I can't remember when I started to feel overwhelmed and to dread the "stuff" that seemed to accompany Christmas, but I think it was when I became a mother. Now don't get me wrong....I LOVE Christmas, I just don't LOVE all the "stuff". Between the parties, for the children and adults, the shopping, the decorating, the undecorating, the planning of when we go where for gift exchange, the wonderful church services, and everything else; quite frankly I'm already exhausted just thinking about it. Each week for advent, there will be 4 things to help us simplify Christmas....worship more, give more (to the needy), spend less, love all. Pastor Ken talked about giving relational gifts, and I LOVE that idea with my whole heart. My kids are creative and love to make things, so I had already planned on making gifts for their cousins, grandparents and aunts. Making relational gifts will be so fabulous. I explained it to Addi, and she thought it was great as well. NPayne and I told her that we would much rather our children give us something relational....meaning a gift where we do something together. One idea I gave her for her dad was that they could make him a card or something that let him know that they would like to go to the lake and spend the day fishing with him. Last year for Mother's Day, the kids gave me a Day at the Payne Spa...complete with a hairstyle, massage and bubble bath all performed by my sweet children. That's a perfect gift for me....absolutely perfect. I want my children to know what Christmas is about and what it means and treasure THAT gift, the gift of Jesus....not the store bought gifts. I want them to know that Christmas will come whether we have a Christmas tree, lights on our house, or pretty red Christmas shoes. Just like in The Grinch That Stole Christmas...although he tried to steal Christmas, it still came; because it's not about all the "stuff". It's about much more. I want them to know that there are so many people in the world, children just like them, who will be overjoyed to have food to eat at Christmas or the opportunity to be with someone they love and not even think about toys, ipods, or video games. I want my kids to know that they don't NEED a thing that is on their list, and I want them to appreciate that Christmas means....we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ; and He is the real gift!

No comments: