Wednesday, November 5, 2008

NICKNAMES

I decided to share some of our nicknames and how they originated. I looked up nicknames in the dictionary, and it gave the following definitions: a descriptive name added to or replacing the actual name of a person, place or thing. The other definition was...a familiar or shortened form of a proper name. Here goes....
Neil...daddy, dad, NPayne, Mr. Payne, Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, Hunka Hunka Burnin' Love, The King, Nigel (given to him by his friend Lance), Dear, (I have a few more for him, but they are for his ears only)!
Lorie....mommy, mom, Dear, Lo, Mrs. Payne, The Queen, Hot Mama (NPayne has a few more for me, but we won't go there; it would be TMI)!
Addison Jo....Addi, Addi Jo, AJ, Sissy (given to her by Cal, because he confused Addi and Daddy), Dear, Princess, Buttercup!
Callahan Leigh...Cal, Cal Leigh (pronounced Cally), The Boy, Our Boy, Your Boy, My Boy (what can I say, he's our only boy), Brother, Dear, Prince, Buttercup! When he was a baby, I referred to him as my Chunk of Love; because he was a giant of a lad!
Drew Michelle....Drewby, Drewby Lou, Drew Boo, Boo, Sister, Dear!
Bryna Mae....Bryn, B, B-Nut, Princess, Buttercup, Dear, Little Sister!
Elliot Ann...Elli, Elli0000(that comes from a refrigerator toy that sings a song called Annieooooo which we translated into Elliooooo), E, Princess, Buttercup, Dear, Baby Sister, Elli Cinderelli!

I call all of my children and NPayne the following on a daily basis....Dear, as in Yes Dear, What would you like Dear?, How can I serve you Dear? (I'm cracking myself up about now). I refer to all of my children as my Buttercups, as in What's up Buttercup? I refer to all of my girls as princesses (see former That Princess Thing post) and my boy as prince. As for some of the other nicknames, they just sort of happened either by someone in our immediate family or a friend who gave them that particular nickname which happened to take hold or suit them to a tee.

4 comments:

Aspiring Mom2three said...

Love that you posted family nicknames. We have a few in our family, but our 1st child somehow never had one attached to him. Not much rhymes with Caleb - but lately I've called him Romeo, and he was Grunt when I was pregnant with him. Don't think a 15 yr. old would like that! Loved the new picture of the family! Thanks for sharing that. Loved seeing all the nicknames.

Lorie said...

Grunt...that's funny. Was there a reason behind that, or is that personal info? It's always nice to be referred to as Romeo. It's a little scary when Juliet comes into the picture.
Glad you liked the picture too.

Anonymous said...

That was fun to read :)

Lorie said...

Thanks Beth!